Thursday, August 29, 2013

U of A and Beyond

As up to this moment, I am at the actual University of Arizona, typing this entry. It is just amazing, being here, and having access to all kinds of knowledge. But just as in high school I planned to be here, and study hard, now, I have to think of what follows. True, this is barely my first college semester, but it is never too early to start planning my future.
Going to school is not something I just do for myself; I do love to learn, though that is not the only reason. Growing up at a Hispanic community, with high rates of high school drop-outs, and just high levels of poverty, made me realize that it is not easy to come out of that hole. People here, and around the world, will never overcome hunger, and ignorance if they do not get a little push. That is why I would love to help others once I graduate. I would like to take this knowledge to poor people, whether they live at a ghetto here in the U.S. or they are part of an African tribe that struggles for survival. Maybe join the peace corps, to go meet different cultures, learn from them, and teach them about our society. I would love that feeling one gets deep into their heart and soul after helping someone who really needed help. I want to explore the deepest, most absolute poverty, and help those who are in it. I want to write about what I see, and publish it, and make people truly aware of what is going on in fellow people's lives. I would love to raise money, and give scholarships to kids who do not want to stay at the ghetto, and to educate those who are abroad. I will not save the world, but I will try my best to leave a statement, for people to work hard, not only for themselves, but for humanity in general, for all of us brothers and sisters.
Today, I have not chosen a major, I cannot decide whether I want to be an economist, who can educate others in the ways of finance and life and general, or a journalist, who can re-educate those who do not know about poverty and despair.
It is all a wonderful dream, graduate from college, and go volunteer for humanity; the issue with that is that graduating from college is not a given thing. According to the U.S. bureau of census, out of all college students who graduate, less than a fifth part are Hispanic. The reason for this to happen is that it is hard to get informed about what is out there: what helps I can get, and what is going on around me in general. It is hard to understand technologies, and the use of internet at this point. The good thing is that I have a descent idea of it. I kind of get where to search for scholarships and loans. I do understand what are reliable sources of information for my papers, and how I can contact people to help me solve my problems. The internet is just one of the biggest tools ever invented by mankind; right now I am using it to express my thoughts of college, and my future. In the past I have used it to let others know the things I like and the things I hate. I have used this tool to make friends, and to get in touch with instructors. Today, I plan on use it as much as needed to make my biggest dream come to life. I am getting schooled at the University of Arizona, with great instructors, books, and all kinds of other commodities, the biggest one of them being this net we all surf through everyday.
I do not study for the glamor of being a college student, or the satisfaction of being a higher class American in the future; I do it because I believe is the right track to take in order to do something for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment