Thursday, October 17, 2013

White Folk Ain't Allowed! (?)

As a child I developed some sort of fear, or hate towards white people. It came from the stereotype kids see on TV: Racist, radical, conservative rednecks. Whenever I came to the U.S., whether it was to visit a relative, or just shopping, I got nervous every time I saw a non-Hispanic person.
When I moved to Arizona, my school was still 97% Hispanic, so dealing with different races was not a big deal.  I tried my best to avoid dealing with other ethnicities, and I it worked, I graduated from High School without having to be friends with people with a different color of skin.
When I moved to Tucson, though, things shifted drastically. I attend to the University of Arizona, where there is a white majority, by little, and all kinds of races interact. I see Chinese, Japanese, Ausies, British, Jews, German, Eastern European, Native Americans, African people, African-Americans, and even Muslims. The thing is that now I am the minority, and in reality, it is not so bad. It is actually not bad at all; maybe because it is a University, and people tend to be educated by now. I have met people and made friends from different races, and it is awesome. Unlike the famous "Bubble of Beaners" Santa Cruz County is in Arizona, the Metro area of Tucson is a place where diversity and respect go by the hand. I have not experienced any hostilities, at all, which contradicts the stereotypes media sets to divide our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment